KABUL: At least five members of a family, including a woman and four children, have lost their lives in a mortar shelling in Shirzad district of eastern Nangarhar province, a source said Saturday.
Talking on condition of anonymity, an official said that the mortar targeted a house of a tribal elder on Friday in Shabazkhil area of the district.
No militant group, including the Taliban asserted responsibility for the attack so far. Talking to a press conference on Saturday, the interior minister, Hayatullah Hayat said that 25 civilians lost their lives in the Taliban attacks across the country only on Friday. He cited the remarks in addition to a deadly car bombing that took the lives of 26 civilians in the southeastern Logar province.
Nangarhar is an insecure province in the east, where the Taliban and Daesh are active in many parts of it, many times carry out attacks on the Afghan security forces.